AWS Whitepaper Key Points-Overview of Amazon Web Services
Key Point :- Overview of Amazon Web Services
Source and credits :- You can read full whitepaper here
Cloud computing is the on-demand delivery of compute power, database storage, applications, and other IT resources through a cloud services platform via the Internet with pay-as-you-go pricing
Six Advantages of Cloud Computing
- Trade capital expense for variable expense :- Instead of having to invest heavily in data canters and servers before you know how you’re going to use them, you can pay only when you consume computing resources, and pay only for how much you consume.
- Benefit from massive economies of scale :- Start from the lowest configuration initially and then start increasing the configuration of resources as your utilization increases .
- No need to Guess Capacity :- Eliminate guessing on your infrastructure capacity needs. If you guess your infrastructure capacity before deploying them you may end up with idle resources. With cloud computing, You can access as much or as little capacity as you need, and scale up and down as required with only a few minutes’ notice.
- Better Speed and Agility :- In a cloud computing environment, new resources can be launched with a simple click which means that you reduce the time to make those resources available to your developers from weeks to just minutes. This results in a dramatic increase in agility for the organization, since the cost and time it takes to experiment and develop is significantly lower.
- Reduce the cost of Having a datacentre :- Cloud computing enables customer to focus on their business not on the infrastructure . Cloud computing lets them focus on their own customers, rather than on the heavy lifting of racking, stacking, and powering servers
- Go Global in Minutes :- Easily deploy your application in multiple regions around the world with just a few clicks. This means you can provide lower latency and a better experience for your customers at minimal cost.
Cloud Computing Models
- IAAS (Infrastructure As A Service ):- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) provide access to networking features, computers (virtual or on dedicated hardware), and data storage space.
- PAAS (Platform As A Service ) :- Platform as a Service (PaaS) eliminates the need of having a underlying infrastructure for an App so that one can focus on the deployment of app as well as its management
- SAAS (Software As A Service ) :- Best example of SAAS is Gmail . Everyone has the same UI but different content . Software as a Service (SaaS) provides a complete product that is run and managed by the service provider.
Cloud Computing Deployment Model
- On Premise :- To Deploy resources or application with the help of virtualization technique and resource management tool in own data centre. It is also refer as Private cloud.
- Public Cloud :- Build and deploy application on the cloud with the help of low level infra in the beginning . All part of cloud application is built and run in the cloud. Example of public cloud is AWS,Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
- Hybrid :- In this model some part of your application is deployed in the cloud and some part is in on premise. Hence this deployment is a way to connect infrastructure and application between cloud-based resources and existing resources that are not located in the cloud.
AWS Global Infrastructure
- AWS serves over a million active customers in more than 190 countries. AWS Global infrastructure contains two main pillars AWS Region and AWS Availability Zone . AWS Region is a physical location consists of two or more AZs, designed to be isolated from other AWS region hence provides the greater Fault Tolerance and stability. Availability Zones consist of one or more discrete data centres, each with redundant power, networking, and connectivity, housed in separate facilities. AZs in a region are connected thorough each other with low latency network. Currently AWS has 20 regions and 60 AZs.
- The AWS Cloud follows shared responsibility model. While AWS manages security of the cloud, you are responsible for security in the cloud. This means that you retain control of the security you choose to implement to protect your own content, platform, applications, systems, and networks no differently than you would in an on-site data center.
Major AWS Services :- Analytics
- Amazon EMR :- Managed Hadoop Framework in Cloud.
- Amazon CloudSearch :- Scalable Search solution in cloud
- Amazon Elasticsearch Service :- Scalable and fully managed Elastic Search engine in cloud .
- Amazon Kinesis :- Real time processing and analysis of Data in the cloud.
- Amazon Redshift :- Fast and scalable data warehouse or data Lake in the cloud
- Amazon QuickSight :- Business Intelligence tool to deliver insights in the cloud .
- AWS Data Pipeline :- Web Service used to securely process and transfer the data between different aws compute resources , database services and on premises data sources.
- AWS Glue :- Managed ETL tool in the Cloud.
Major AWS Services :- Application Integration Services
- AWS Step Functions :- Serverless workflow that triggered automatically and used to bind aws services such as ECS , Lambda together .
- Amazon MQ :- Managed message broker service for Apache Active MQ in the cloud.
- Amazon SQS :- Very First service Launched by AWS in 2006. SQS is fully managed messaging queue service that is used to decouple the applications in the cloud.
- Amazon SNS :- Fully managed and Secure push messaging services in the cloud .
- Amazon SWF :- Fully managed State tracker service used to track parallel or sequential jobs states.
Major AWS Services :- Compute
- Amazon EC2 :- Stands for Elastic Compute Cloud . It’s a web service that provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud.
- Amazon EC2 Auto Scaling :- It’s a web service used to obtained elasticity and High Availability in the cloud . EC2 Auto scaling automatically add or remove instances according to the condition that you define.
- Amazon ECS :- Stands for Elastic Container service. Its highly scalable , high performance container orchestration service that supports Docker containers and allows you to easily run and scale containerized applications on AWS.
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk :- It’s a PAAS offering web service of aws cloud used to deploying and scaling web applications and services developed in different languages viz Java,.NET,PHP,Node.js,Python,Ruby etc.
- AWS Lambda :- Serverless compute service of AWS. You just upload the code and it takes care of everything that required to run and scale your code with high availability
Major AWS Services :- Database
- Amazon Aurora :- Fully AWS managed relational database service . It’s a MySQL and PostgreSQL Compatible relational database engine which is five times faster than traditional MySQL Database and three times faster than PostgreSQL database.
- Amazon RDS :- Fully managed relational database service in the cloud. Easy to setup, operate and scale. RDS Supports major database engine such as MySQL,SQL,Oracle,MariaDB ,Aurora and PostgreSQL.
- Amazon Dynamo DB :- It’s a key value and document database . Fully managed by AWS It’s a multi-regional , multi-master database having built in security and in memory caching.
- Amazon Elastic Cache :- It is a web service that makes it easy to deploy, operate, and scale an in-memory cache in the cloud. AWS Elastic Cache supports two major opensource in memory caching engine Redis and Memcached.
Major AWS Services :- Storage Services
- Amazon S3 :- Its highly available and durable low cost object based storage service in the cloud.
- Amazon S3 Glacier :- Its highly available , secure and extremely low cost archival storage solution in the AWS Cloud.
- AWS EBS :- Its persistent block storage volume used with Amazon Compute service EC2.
- AWS EFS :- Its scalable elastic file system for Linux workload used in conjunction with AWS Cloud Services and on premise services.
- AWS Storage Gateway :- It’s a hybrid storage service that enables your on-premises applications to seamlessly use AWS cloud storage.
Major AWS Services :- Networking and Content Delivery Services
- Amazon VPC :- Stands for Virtual Private Cloud enables you to have own virtual network in the cloud that closely resembles with the traditional on premise network.
- Amazon CloudFront :- It’s a content delivery network that securely delivers data, videos , applications and APIs to customers globally with low latency high transfer speed .
- Amazon Route 53 :- It’s a highly available and scalable DNS service in the cloud .
- AWS Private Link :- It eliminate the exposure of your data from the public internet and enables the data transfer to and from within the AWS network.
- AWS Direct Connect :- Its dedicated network connection between your on premise data center and AWS Datacenter.
- AWS API Gateway :- It is a fully managed service that makes it easy for developer to create , publish , maintain monitor and secure APIs at any scale.
- Elastic Load Balancing :- It automatically distributes incoming traffic across multiple EC2 or containers .
Major AWS Services :- Security , Identity and Compliance
- AWS IAM :- Used for securely control access to AWS services and resources for your organization users.
- AWS Guard Duty :- It’s a threat detection service that continuously monitors the malicious and un authorized attack on your AWS Accounts
- AWS Inspector :- It’s a security assessment service that helps improve the security and compliance of application deployed on AWS.
- AWS Certificate Manager :- Provision , manage and deploy SSL/TLS certificates for use with AWS Services.
- AWS CloudHSM :- It’s a cloud based hardware security model used to generate and manage your own encryption keys on the AWS Cloud.
- AWS Directory Service :- Fully managed MS Active Directory in the Cloud
- AWS Shield :- It’s a fully managed DDoS Protection service that is used to protect the web application.
- AWS WAF :- It’s a web application firewall used to protect the web application from common web exploits such as SQL Injection , cross site scripting etc.
Major AWS Services :- Desktop and Appstreaming
- Amazon Workspaces :- It’s a desktop in the cloud. A fully managed cloud desktop service . You can have different variant of Windows as well as Linux Desktop.
- Amazon AppStream 2.0 :- A fully managed application streaming services.
Major AWS Services :- Developer Tools
- AWS CodeCommit :- A fully managed source control services that makes it easy to have private and scalable Git repositories.
- AWS CodeBuild :- A fully managed scalable Build service that compiles source code , run tests and produce ready to go software packages to deploy on your behalf.
- AWS CodeDeploy :- Web service that automates code deployments to any EC2 or instances running on the premises.
- AWS CodePipeline :- A fully managed Continuous Delivery service in the cloud.
- AWS X-Ray :- Used to debug distributed application those built using a microservice architecture.
Major AWS Services :- Machine Learning Tools
- Amazon Sagemaker :- A fully managed platform that enables developers and data scientists to quickly and easily build, train, and deploy machine learning models at any scale.
- Amazon Comprehend :- It is a natural language processing (NLP) service that uses machine learning to find insights and relationships in text. No machine learning experience required.
- Amazon Lex :- It’s a webservice that provides deep learning functionalities of automatic speech recognition for converting speech to text and natural language. Understanding to recognize the intent of text.
- Amazon Polly : Webservice that turns text into speech. Polly lets you create application that talk .
- Amazon Rekognition :- Scalable Webservice used to add image analysis to your application .
Major AWS Services :- Management and Governance Tools
- AWS CloudWatch :- It’s a monitoring service in the cloud. It can be used to monitor EC2, RDS, ELB and numerous aws service.
- AWS Systems Manager :- Webservice used to automate your daily task such as Patch management , Inventory management and run command across your AWS Resources.
- AWS CloudFormation :- Its infrastructure as a code service. Used to create and manage a collection of related aws resources.
- AWS CloudTrail :- It’s a web service used to record AWS API calls for your aws accounts.
- AWS Config :- Used for compliance purpose it’s a fully managed service that provides aws resource inventory , configuration history and configuration change notification to enable security and governance.
- AWS OpsWorks :- Run chef and Puppet automation script in the cloud.
- AWS Trusted Advisor : – It’s a real time online service help you to reduce cost , increase performance and improve security by optimizing your AWS environment.